This Help page is a work in progress.
Finding, Downloading, Unzipping, and Reading BrailleAudio Titles
- Finding Titles
- Logging Into BrailleAudio
- Searching the Catalog
- Browsing the Catalog
- Browse Featured Titles
- Browse Previously Featured Titles
- Browse Titles Added Within the Last 90 Days
- Browse Authors
- Browse Media Formats
- Browse Narrators
- Browse Publishers
- Browse Series
- Browse Subject Categories
- Browse Titles for Adults
- Browse Titles for Children
- Browse Non-fiction Titles
- Browse Fiction Titles
- Browse Poetry Titles
- Browse the Entire Catalog
- Downloading Titles
- Unzipping Titles
- Reading Titles
- Reading Audio DAISY Titles
- Reading Braille Titles
These instructions were prepared from the point of view of a Windows screen reader user.
There are two ways of finding titles on brailleAudio.org:
Logging Into BrailleAudio
While it is not necessary to log into BrailleAudio before searching or browsing the catalog, doing so will cause download links to appear for matching titles. To log into BrailleAudio:
- Find and press enter on the Member Login link in the navigation region, or the Login to Download Titles link near the top of the Browsing Titles page.
- Press f to place focus in the user name field and press enter to activate forms mode.
- Type your user name.
- Press tab to place focus in the password field.
- Type your password.
- Press enter.
- If your user id or password was typed incorrectly, an appropriate error message will be displayed.
- A Forgot Your Login Information link is available on the Member Login page. After presseng enter on that link, Type your user name or email address in the edit field, press enter, and check your email for further instructions.
Searching the Catalog
- A search edit field into which words or phrases can be typed is present on the Home page as well as on the Search the Catalog page. Find and press enter on the Home or Search the Catalog link.
- Press f to place focus in the Search the Catalog field and press enter to activate forms mode.
- Type one or more words and press enter to search the catalog by title, author, narrator, subject category, synopsis, catalog number, and more...
- The resulting Catalog Search Results page will contain the titles that matched what was typed into the search field in the previous step. If no matching titles were found, an appropriate error message will be displayed.
Browsing the Catalog
- Find and press entter on the Brows the Catalog link
- The resulting Browse the Catalog page contains the following 15 links under a level 1 heading:
Browse Featured Titles
Pressing enter on the Browse Featured Titles link results in a page containing all featured titles.
Browse Previously Featured Titles
Pressing enter on the Browse Previously Featured Titles link results in a page containing all previously featured titles.
Browse Titles Added Within the Last 90 Days
Pressing enter on the Browse Titles Added Within the Last 90 Days link results in a page containing all titles added within the last 90 days.
Pressing enter on the Browse Authors link results in a page containing a list of author's names as well as the number of titles by each author. Press enter on an author's name link to navigate to a page which displays all titles by that author.
Browse Media Formats
Pressing enter on the Browse Media Formats link results in a page containing a list of media formats as well as the number of titles in each media format. Press enter on a media format link to navigate to a page which displays all titles in that media format.
Pressing enter on the Browse Narrators link results in a page containing a list of narrator's names as well as the number of titles read by each narrator. Press enter on a narrator's name link to navigate to a page which displays all titles read by that narrator.
Pressing enter on the Browse Publishers link results in a page containing a list of publishers as well as the number of titles published by each publisher. Press enter on a publisher link to navigate to a page which displays all titles published by that publisher.
Pressing enter on the Browse Series link results in a page containing a list of series as well as the number of titles in each series. Press enter on a series link to navigate to a page which displays all titles in that series.
Browse Subject Categories
Pressing enter on the Browse Subject Categories link results in a page containing a list of subject categories as well as the number of titles in each subject category. Press enter on a subject category link to navigate to a page which displays all titles in that subject category.
Browse Titles for Adults
Pressing enter on the Browse Titles for Adults link results in a page containing all titles for adults.
Browse Titles for Children
Pressing enter on the Browse Titles for Children link results in a page containing all titles for children.
Browse Non-fiction Titles
Pressing enter on the Browse Non-fiction Titles link results in a page containing all non-fiction titles.
Browse Fiction Titles
Pressing enter on the Browse Fiction Titles link results in a page containing all fiction titles.
Browse Poetry Titles
Pressing enter on the Browse Poetry Titles link results in a page containing all poetry titles.
Browse the Entire Catalog
Pressing enter on the Browse the Entire Catalog link results in a page containing all titles in the catalog.
Whether the search or browse functionality was used to find titles, the format of the page which contains matching titles is virtually identical. Each title has its own heading meaning that they can be navigated by pressing h or shift-h. If you are logged into BrailleAudio, a download link for each title will be present on the page. For God Will Talk Through You by bruce Van Natta, the download link will appear as Download ADB327 God Will Talk through You (Audio DAISY Book). If you have previously downloaded a title, the link will begin with "Redownload." Simply find and press enter on the appropriate download or redownload link.
At this point it might be helpful to understand how BrailleAudio names its downloadable files. All files available for download on BrailleAudio adhere to the following naming convention:
- BA, short for BrailleAudio
- A dash
- The author's last name followed by an underscore
- The author's first name or initial
- If present, the author's middle name or initial(s) preceeded by an underscore
- A dash
- The title with underscores in place of spaces
- A dash
- The media format prefix (ADB for Audio DAISY Book, ADT for Audio DAISY Teaching, BRB for Braille Book, ETC.)
- The catalog number
- The file extension, .zip
By way of example, the file name for God Will Talk Through You by Bruce Van Natta is BA-Van_Natta_Bruce-God_Will_Talk_Through_You-ADB327.zip.
All files available for download on BrailleAudio are in .zip format meaning that they are compressed to make downloading faster. Consequently, they must be unzipped before they can be read.
The following explains how to extract a .zip file on a Windows computer on which third party archive utilities like 7Zip have not been installed. Before beginning, please ensure that your computer is configured to show file extensions for known file types. In windows 10, this can be accomplished by typing "show file extensions" in the search field and following the prompts. Showing file extensions will enable you to distinguish between the actual zip file and the folder created as a result of unzipping it. For example, unzipping Bruce Van Natta's God Will Talk Through You will result in a new folder called BA-Van_Natta_Bruce-God_Will_Talk_Through_You-ADB327.
- Start Windows explorer and navigate to a .zip file downloaded from BrailleAudio, for example, BA-Van_Natta_Bruce-God_Will_Talk_Through_You-ADB327.zip
- Press the applications key or shift-f10 to open the context menu
- Press down arrow until you hear "Extract all"
- Press enter to open the Extract Compressed (Zipped) Folders dialog
- Press tab until you hear "show extracted files when complete checkbox," and make sure that the checkbox is unchecked
- Press tab until you hear "extract button," and press space to start the unzip process
- Wait while the file unzips
Reading Audio DAISY Titles
BrailleAudio titles in the following media formats are audio DAISY files in the .3gp format which can be copied to a thumbdrive or NLS cartridge for listening on an NLS player. The files can also be transferred to devices such as the HumanWare Victor Reader suite of products. A third alternative involves the use of software capable of decoding the .3gp audio file format like APH Book Wizard Reader or APH Book Wizard Producer.
- ADB, Audio DAISY Book
- ADP, Audio DAISY Pamphlet
- ADT - Audio DAISY Teaching
Reading Braille Titles
BrailleAudio titles in the following media formats are .brf Braille files suitable for reading on a refreshable Braille display or embossing on a Braille printer:
- BRB, Braille Book
- BRP, Braille Pamplet
Due to the large number of refreshable braille displays and Braille embossers available in today's market, we regret that we cannot provide detailed instructions for reading or embossing Braille files. Please consult the documentation that came with your particular refreshable Braille display, Braille embosser, or Braille translation software.